Wrapping Up Your Divorce: Changing Your Final Divorce Decree

by Norris Law Group on September 12, 2014

Wrapping Up Your Divorce: Changing Your Final Divorce DecreeIn the previous installment of this blog, we discussed the importance of reading through your final divorce decree very carefully. Once you have done this, you may want to make changes to the final decree. According to an article that appeared on Attorneys.com, you probably can, although you would need to discuss the changes with your divorce attorney and your former spouse and his or her attorney as well.

If your ex agrees to your changes, both lawyers must file a request to make the changes with court. But if your former spouse objects to your changes, it may be much more difficult to change your divorce decree.

You should speak with your divorce lawyer as soon as possible if you believe that you were “forced” or “coerced” in any way into accepting any portion or even all of your final divorce settlement. For example, you may feel that your ex-spouse pressured you to agree to certain terms regarding child support or visitation. Your divorce attorney can file a motion for a new hearing to discuss these terms, and the judge will decide whether the changes you request are appropriate.

Depending upon the state in which you live, you have a set amount of time during which you may request changes to your final divorce decree. Typically, you have about a month (30 days). This is not a lot of time, which is another reason why it is so important to thoroughly read your final divorce decree as soon as possible.

Attorney Graham Norris and his associates at the Norris Law Group serve the residents of Utah County, UT and throughout Utah, Wyoming and Idaho. Contact them today at 801-932-1238 or online for a free consultation.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: